Delete remote folder

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 09:27:08 UTC 2016

Fabian Cenedese <Cenedese at indel.ch> wrote:

> Are there pure rsync ways to solve these two problems?

Short answer - no I don't think there is.
My feeling is that rsync (at least, rsync on it's own) isn't the right tool for the job.

One think I would comment on though is that, IMO, making backup policies under the control of the client is "asking for trouble" for the general case. Your use case may well be different, but IME you can't trust clients to do the right thing - unless they are completely under your control, in which case there's little difference between client or server controlled policies.

Personally I use a combination of rsync to maintain a clone of each client onto one server, and then StoreBackup (on that one server) to manage multiple generations of backups with file-level dedupe etc.