LGPL relicense port of rsync

Per Lundqvist perlundq at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 11:09:10 UTC 2016

Hi Martin,

> It seems like yajsync is a reimplementation of rsync's protocol by looking
> at the GPL'd C rsync source, but it doesn't actually include any code from
> rsync. Is that right?

Yes correct, it is a complete rewrite in Java. Most of it is
completely different, only some small parts of the actual code is
actually similar to the original.

> In that case I think the yajsync authors are welcome to use whatever licence
> they think fit.
>
> If it was a line-by-line translation or a mere obfuscation of the existing
> code that might be different.

OK, but I am hesitant about this anyway, but I might very well be wrong.

> I don't consider the protocol copyrighted or restricted by the GPL.

Agreed, the protocol is not copyrighted but the code is, and the code
the only specification there is at the moment.

> As for why am I not on this list? It's been a long time! I just got
> interested in other things.

Thanks for input!

--
Per Lundqvist