cut-off time for rsync ?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jul 3 03:08:32 MDT 2015

Ken Chase <rsync-list-m829 at sizone.org> wrote:

> You have NO IDEA how long it takes to scan 100M files
> on a 7200 rpm disk.

Actually I do have some idea !

> Additionally, I dont know if linux (or freebsd or any unix) can be told to cache
> metadata more aggressively than data

That had gone through my mind - how much RAM do you have in the backup system ? Also what other options do you use - I've found some of them (especially hard-links) can have a significant impact on performance.

Otherwise, have you looked at StoreBackup ?
It's probably somewhat more than you are after, *but* it does have a mode specifically for efficient transfer of backups from one system to another. I've been using it for a few years for my backups (keeping multiple backups etc) but haven't used the remote transfer bit yet.