wrong transfer of app packages using --backup

Robert DuToit rdutoit at comcast.net
Fri Jan 16 07:41:04 MST 2015

Dear All,

I have been seeing some strange behavior using rsync 3.1.1 on OSX with the 3 standard patches applied when using the --backup and --backup-Dir options.

This works as expected on 3.0.9, moving any files on dest that are not on source to the backup folder. If no changes then the backup folder is not even created.

-aHAXN --fileflags --force-change --protect-decmpfs —delete --backup --backup-dir=BL_Archive --stats —progress -vvv

on 3.1.1 , where dest and source are already  in sync, any apps and rtfd files (both are “packages” of other files) on the dest are replicated in the backup folder. They aren’t removed from the dest. They have a cross through them (corrupted) and I noticed that not all the files within these corrupted apps are present, mostly nib files, frameworks etc..

Anyone else experience this?

I ran with verbose but the only references to the backup folder are setting uids on that backup folder. It is created early on in the output.

Created backup_dir BL_Archive/
set uid of BL_Archive/testfolder from 0 to 501
set uid of BL_Archive/testfolder/AppKiDo.app from 0 to 501
set uid of BL_Archive/testfolder/AppKiDo.app/Contents from 0 to 501
set uid of BL_Archive/testfolder/AppKiDo.app/Contents/MacOS from 0 to 501

Thanks,  Rob