Print files which would be transfered by rsync (when syncing two directories)

Heiko Schlittermann hs at schlittermann.de
Mon Jun 16 07:23:17 MDT 2014

Hi,

Karl-Philipp Richter <krichter722 at aol.de> (Mo 16 Jun 2014 14:29:04 CEST):
> Hi together,
> after I read "very often" without even a tiny bit of a contradiction, I
> start to have the feeling I have a basic misunderstanding of rsync.
>
> Assume one want to get a list of files which would have been transfered
> by rsync if rsync was requested to sync directories X and Y and one does
> <code>
> X=`mktemp`
> echo "abc" > $X/1
> echo "abc1" > $X/2
> Y=`mktemp`
> echo "abc" > $Y/1
> echo "abc2" > $Y/2
> </code>

You ment 'mkdir -d'

> then I'd expect rsync to update the file $Y/2 with the content of $X/2
> and `rsync --dry-run --info=COPY -r -c $X $Y` should print $Y/2 (or
> $X/2, this isn't part of my problem), but it prints nothing. Further
> non-working solutions include:
>   * `rsync --dry-run --info=COPY -r -c $X/ $Y/` # same as above with

The info-Option my rsync doesn't have.

> trailing slashes
>   * `rsync -avun $SOURCE $TARGET`
> [http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/57305/rsync-compare-directories] (printing
> both files or nothing (with and without trailing slashes))

$ rsync -avun $X $Y
sending incremental file list
tmp.VvH2oCg59K/
tmp.VvH2oCg59K/1
tmp.VvH2oCg59K/2

>   * `rsync -n $X $Y`
> [http://superuser.com/questions/576687/rsync-print-only-files-that-would-have-been-changed]
> which seems already false by intuition as rsync doesn't display
> separated file infos if not instructed to do so)

And $X and $Y are dirs, rsync won't recurse into dirs without using the
proper options.
[
> Where is my misunderstanding and if there's none, how do I get rsync to
> print $X/2 (or $Y/2) in my example above?

That's what I use. The "killer option" is "-i"
$ rsync -n -ia $X $Y
cd+++++++++ tmp.VvH2oCg59K/

--
Heiko