Transfering extended attributes in the "system" namespace

Philipp Tölke philipp at philipptoelke.de
Tue Jul 29 00:27:50 MDT 2014

Dear all,

nfs4-ACLs are exposed to userspace as an extended attribute
"system.nfs4_acl" in Linux.

I need to copy these ACLs from one NFS-Server to another. I have found
that in xattrs.c rsync filters all extended attributes from the
namespace "system" and does not transfer them.

Question 1: Is it reasonably save to patch rsync and transfer them
anyways? I have tried it, it works. :-)

Question 2: If is is reasonable and save, is there interest in a patch
to create a option to not ignore the "system" namespace?

Regards,
Philipp