Concern: rsync failing to find some attributes in a file transfer?

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 18:27:47 MDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 11:35 PM, Kevin Korb <kmk at sanitarium.net> wrote:
>> I just moved my home partition to a new harddisk w/more space.
>
> Home Partition?  Are we in 1995?  Why would you have a partition
> mounted anywhere other than /boot ?

That's a bit harsh, particularly considering that having a /home
partition never really stopped being useful.

Having a separate partition for user files means that if one (of
potentially many) user(s) fills up the /home partition, the machine's
OS files don't get messed up when written to, as a painful side
effect.  Both kinds of write failures are bad, but they needn't be
concomitant.

Also, some people might just have multiple disks in the same system;
or be using a network filesystem like NFS, CIFS, sshfs, &c.