Concern: rsync failing to find some attributes in a file transfer?

L. A. Walsh rsync at tlinx.org
Fri Jul 25 23:52:50 MDT 2014

I have a regular script I run to make static "snapshots" of my home
file system, with each being all the files that changed in the past 24
hours.

I just moved my home partition to a new harddisk w/more space.

I ran the util and have gotten odd results each time I ran it.

This one bothers me... as I'm not sure why the attrs would be missing.

How can the names be transfered but no content?  Is that possible?

Ideas?

Thanks!

Version info:

>  rsync --version
rsync  version 3.1.0  protocol version 31
Copyright (C) 1996-2013 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
    64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 64-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
    socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
    append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, symtimes, prealloc, no SLP

>  uname -a
Linux Ishtar 3.15.6-Isht-Van #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jul 19 12:31:28 PDT 2014
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

File system info:

>  xfs_info /home
meta-data=/dev/mapper/Data-Home  isize=512    agcount=32,
agsize=12582896 blks
         =                       sectsz=4096  attr=2
data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=402652672, imaxpct=5
         =                       sunit=16     swidth=16 blks
naming   =version 2              bsize=4096   ascii-ci=0
log      =internal               bsize=4096   blocks=32768, version=2
         =                       sectsz=4096  sunit=1 blks, lazy-count=1
realtime =none                   extsz=4096   blocks=0, rtextents=0
-------------------

Command (called from a script file in perl):

my $rcmd = [$Rsync];
push( @$rcmd, qw(
            --8-bit-output --acls --archive
            --hard-links --human-readable
            --no-inc-recursive --one-file-system --prune-empty-dirs
            --whole-file --xattrs ),
            "--compare-dest=$base_lvh->fs_mp/.");

output of the program:

Rsync with 9 excludes from config file...
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/Documents/law/Pictures/Artists"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/Documents/law/Pictures/Avatars/Production"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/Documents/law/Pictures/Scans/Dragonaut-The Resonance"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/Documents/law/Pictures/Scans/HighSchoolDxD"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/Documents/law/Pictures/Scans/I can't do H"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/Documents/law/Pictures/Scans/Konachan"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/Documents/law/Pictures/Scans/Maria-sama-ga-miteru"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/Documents/law/Pictures/Scans/Miscellaneous"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/Documents/law/Pictures/Scans/SwordArtOnline"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/Documents/law/Pictures/Scans/To Love Ru"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/Documents/law/Pictures/Scans/kiddy grade"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/Documents/law/lastfm"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/Documents/law/reality"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/law.V2/bin/lib/P/blib"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/law.V2/bin/lib/mem"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/law.V2/bin/lib/orig"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/law.V2/bin/lib/test"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/law.V2/bin/oldmapdrives"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/law.V2/bin/reg"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/law.V2/bin/tmp"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/Bliss/law.V2/bin/vbs"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/root/1223/etc/fonts"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/root/1223/etc/local"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/root/1223/etc/samba/save0820/internals"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/root/1223/selinux"
Missing abbreviated xattr value, trusted.SGI_ACL_DEFAULT, for
"/home.diff/splunk/bin"
rsync took 135m, 26s

Why would or how would the files and attr-names get transfered but be
missing?