What is it doing?

Perry Smith pedzsan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 13:06:15 MST 2014

This is my first time to really use rsync.  I did small tests to get the arguments like I wanted and then kicked off the big rsync about 2 and a half hours ago.  So far, it has not copied over any files.

The command I used is:

rsync \
  --relative \
  --recursive \
  --copy-links \
  host:/glob/that/matches/about/eighty/./directories \
  /local/target/dir

The list of directories are all full of symbolic links that point off to NFS mounted file systems.  I don't expect it to complete today but I do have to stop it each day at the end of the work day.  But it worries me that it has yet to copy over any files.

Is it really making progress?  Or will it take this long to really start copying files over each day I start it?

I expect the total amount copied to be about 400G and about 4 million files.

It is possible to break this up into pieces if that would help.

Thank you for your help and advice,
Perry