/usr/bin/ssh not found when rsync is executed within rsnapshot

Chris Davies chris at roaima.co.uk
Fri Feb 14 15:33:56 MST 2014

On 10/02/14 05:38, Lorenz wrote:
 > i have a problem. But let me first describe my setup. [...rsnapshot
configuration...]
 > cmd_ssh    /usr/bin/ssh
 > ssh_args    -i /home/backupuser/.ssh/id_rsa
 > rsync: Failed to exec /usr/bin/ssh -i /home/backupuser/.ssh/id_rsa:
No such file or directory (2)

There's a bug in some versions of rsnapshot that causes it to try and
execute cmd_ssh + ssh_args as a single command. The workaround is either
to put as much of ssh_args as possible into $HOME/.ssh/config for the
specific target host, or to create a /usr/local/bin/ssh-for-rsnapshot
type script that incorporates the call to ssh with the relevant arguments.

Chris