Alternative rsync client for Windows

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Fri Apr 11 17:57:59 MDT 2014

I come from the Linux world.  If one of my computers were to simply
evaporate into nothingness or have complete storage failure then once
the hardware problem is dealt with I would network boot SystemRescueCD
then restore my backups that I made with rsync.

I understand that things are more complicated in Windows but if say my
laptop (it is the only computer I have that both boots and stores
Windows) were similarly destroyed or blanked I would still network
boot SystemRescueCD and restore my backups that I made with ntfsclone.

My hesitation with backing up a Windows system with rsync is that I
have absolutely no idea to go from "I have a blank computer and a copy
of all my files" to "I have a working computer with all my stuff".  I
might be asking for something as simple as "Install Windows, install
Acrosync, restore everything including the Windows configuration from
backups" or maybe some kind of rescue disc or maybe some kind of
custom WinPE disc.  I don't know.  I know just enough about Windows to
figure out how to use what I know from Linux to make things sorta work.

On 04/11/2014 07:39 PM, L. A. Walsh wrote:
> Donald Pearson wrote:
>> ..backing up a complete Windows system and doing a bare metal
>> restore..
>>
>> That would really be something.
> Depends on what you mean bare-metal restore...  if you have 'bare
> metal', then that would seem to mean no OS.  If you have no OS,
> what are you running the restore on?
>
> Or are you talking about taking the image from 1 disk and copying
> it to another and booting from that disk?
>
> I did that when I upgraded my RAID-SSD.  For my Win workstation, I
> use RAID-0 w/4 SSD's, which uses up 4/5 of my drive slots.  So no
> room to dupto a similar config.
>
> I put a 2TB drive in the 5th slot and used cygwin's dd to copy to
> the 2TB drive.
>
> Then booted a linux rescue disk and used that to 'dd' the image on
> the 2TB drive to the new RAID-0.  Had to have some third-party
> licenses reissued, but other than that, went fairly smoothly.
> Windows itself auto-activated via the an OEM check (Dell system).
>
> It's not exactly convenient, but for what was needed, it worked.
>
> Or are you talking doing the transfer w/no OS... um... yeah, that
> would be something...
>
> (Cygwin can be pretty useful sometimes).

- --
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
	Systems Administrator		Internet:
	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
	PGP public key available on web site.