Alternative rsync client for Windows

L. A. Walsh rsync at tlinx.org
Fri Apr 11 17:39:46 MDT 2014

Donald Pearson wrote:
> ..backing up a complete Windows system and doing a bare metal restore..
>
> That would really be something.
Depends on what you mean bare-metal restore...  if you have 'bare metal',
then that would seem to mean no OS.  If you have no OS, what are you
running the restore on?

Or are you talking about taking the image from 1 disk and
copying it to another and booting from that disk?

I did that when I upgraded my RAID-SSD.  For my Win workstation,
I use RAID-0 w/4 SSD's, which uses up 4/5 of my drive slots.  So
no room to dupto a similar config.

I put a 2TB drive in the 5th slot and used cygwin's dd to copy to the
2TB drive.

Then booted a linux rescue disk and used that to 'dd' the image on the
2TB drive
to the new RAID-0.  Had to have some third-party licenses reissued, but
other than that, went fairly smoothly.  Windows itself auto-activated via
the an OEM check (Dell system).

It's not exactly convenient, but for what was needed, it worked.

Or are you talking doing the transfer w/no OS... um... yeah, that would be
something...

(Cygwin can be pretty useful sometimes).