Need hint for my question regarding the working of rsync.

Karl O. Pinc kop at meme.com
Tue Nov 12 15:13:01 MST 2013

On 11/12/2013 03:50:20 PM, Wayne Davison wrote

> Yes, the receiver sends all the checksums that it generates at once

> For really big files it would be interesting to amend this rule to
> one
> where the sending side waits only long enough for a certain number of
> checksums to arrive before it begins its work (and perhaps pauses if
> it
> gets too far ahead of the arriving checksums).

Based on the behavior I see when using rsync, without
really knowing what's going on, it seems that the
sending side first does a lot of disk access,
then the receiving side does, and then
the sync begins over the network.  It would
save a lot of wall-clock time if the sending
and receiving side could both be hitting
the disk at once.  At least in my use case,
with whatever version of rsync I happen to be
using.

Karl <kop at meme.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein