rsync behavior on copy-on-write filesystems

Allen Supynuk allen.supynuk at gmail.com
Wed May 22 15:25:01 MDT 2013

Sorry for the churn and thanks for the suggestions. When I redid my
experiments over the network everything worked just as I dreamed it
would. Changing the first 4K bytes only caused a 4K change in the
copy. Changing meta-data (time stamp) only caused the time stamp to
change in the copy.

This is very nice and I expect it to save 10's of GB per archive going forward.

Kevin was right. --whole-file was the default when source and
destination are specified as local paths.