rsync behavior on copy-on-write filesystems

Allen Supynuk allen.supynuk at gmail.com
Wed May 22 12:43:36 MDT 2013

Kevin,

I will try again over a remote connection to see if that makes a
difference. Not expecting -z to day much of anything based on the
random data, just wanting to be consistent with the flags in the
finished solution.

Chris,

You only get --whole-file if you specify it (or -W).

Paul,

For my first couple of days of testing I dutifully did both 'df -h .'
and 'btrfs filesystem df .' until I saw that they give the same answer
after you wait for background cleanup. In this case we are only adding
files so no background cleanup applies.