Using rsync to just -resync permissions and ownership?

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Tue May 14 18:50:33 MDT 2013

On 15/05/2013 10:38 AM, Kevin Korb wrote:

> If the timestamps are the same then rsync with -a should just fix the
> ownerships and permissions.

That doesn't seem to deal with older files though, which is most of
them, at least as far as I can tell.  Most of the files now on the "new"
server are newer than the ones coming off the original as I've shunted
them around with a mix of tar and rsync's so all my timestamps and
permissions are a mess.

> If the timestamps are not the same then you could do it with getfacl
> and setfacl as they can use a text file as an intermediary however
> your next question is going to be what to do about the timestamps.
> Which generally means resorting to --size-only or just letting rsync
> re-hash the data.

Any chance of an example?  I'm not really sure how this would work.

rsync --just-perms --everything old new: would be awesome :)