Want details of different rsync protocol versions

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Jan 19 10:19:10 MST 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:29 PM, akshay patil <akshay29patil at gmail.com>wrote:

> Any suggestions , where can I find detailed rsync protocol description?

Sadly, the rsync protocol is a strange binary protocol that is only
documented in the code itself.  The sequence of binary bytes varies based
on both version and options, and nothing in the bitstream itself allows
someone to read it without knowing the implied meaning of the next byte.
 It would be possible to document the protocol in a pseudo-code form using
some nested entity definitions and lots of "if version >=" and "if option"
conditionals, but I don't believe that has yet been done.