killing rsync seems to wipe-out the --partial .hidden files

Frank Hamersley terabite at bigpond.com
Mon Mar 19 06:35:20 MDT 2012

G'day,

I am running an overnight (off-peak) replication using "rsync --partial"
which is "suspended" at 08h30 each morning to allow for day time use of the
internet link.

However it seems the "kill -TERM" on the various rsync (and ssh) processes
is too aggressive as I can not see any trace of the .hidden partial transfer
files.  I tried killing only the (parent) script process but the rsync/ssh
processes just keep running in that case.

Is there a SNAK (Sensitive New Age Kill) method I should use instead
of -TERM that allows rsync to shutdown in a controlled fashion such as when
the tcp connections breaks?  If nothing I presume using cutter would do it
... or would rsync simply try to make the connection again?

Alternatively is there a switch (that I have missed) to tell rsync to run
for a fixed period of time?

Cheers, Frank.
Ubuntu lucid rsync 3.0.7 pv 30