Rsync an offline database?

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Wed Jun 27 23:58:52 MDT 2012

When in doubt, test a restore of your backup.

In fact, test it even if you are sure.

On 06/28/12 01:47, BillDorrian at pgatourhq.com wrote:
> Thanks Kevin. Just doing a little sanity check before I go and copy
> 4TB worth of database files!
>
> Bill Dorrian Network Administrator Desk: 904-273-7625 Cell:
> 904-859-9471
>

> From:        Kevin Korb <kmk at sanitarium.net> To:
> rsync at lists.samba.org, Date:        06/28/2012 01:45 AM Subject:
> Re: Rsync an offline database? Sent by:
> rsync-bounces at lists.samba.org
>

> If the database isn't running then the database files are just
> files and rsync is as good of a tool as any to copy them.
>
> On 06/28/12 01:36, BillDorrian at pgatourhq.com wrote:
>> Is rsync a good way to make a valid copy of offline database
>> files (TSM, in this case) from one xfs filesystem to another? If
>> so, which options should I use?
>
>> Once again, the database services would be shut down, so the
>> database would be offline.
>
>> Bill Dorrian Network Administrator Desk: 904-273-7625 Cell:
>> 904-859-9471
>
>> " Follow the 2012 FedExCup season at PGATOUR.COM."
>

>> "The information contained in this transmission and any
>> attachments may contain privileged and confidential information.
>> It is intended only for the use of the person(s) named above. If
>> you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
>> any review, dissemination, distribution, or duplication of this
>> communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
>> recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
>> all copies of the original message."
>

> -- Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the
> mailing list. To unsubscribe or change options:
> read: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> " Follow the 2012 FedExCup season at PGATOUR.COM."
>

> "The information contained in this transmission and any attachments
> may contain privileged and confidential information. It is intended
> only for the use of the person(s) named above. If you are not the
> intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review,
> dissemination, distribution, or duplication of this communication
> is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
> please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of
> the original message."

- --
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
	Systems Administrator		Internet:
	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
	PGP public key available on web site.