Rsync pairing

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Tue Jun 26 09:06:23 MDT 2012

On 26.06.2012 14:18, András Porjesz wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have an rsyncd installed on a host and I want to use it from a lot of clients. This rsync is not invoked directly but there is a shell script wrapper co set up parameters and environment.
> My problem is that I do not want to allow any other rsync to be able to connect to the daemon. Is there any way to implement such feature?

I personally haven't used rsync in daemon-mode, so i can only "guess by
manpage".

>From what i see in the man-page i would guess that setting up
user/passwort protection may work in your case.

On the client-side the passwort can be put into the
"RSYNC_PASSWORD"-Environment-Variable, so the connection still works
automatically. In case you can prevent your users from reading the
script/(whatever creates your environment) you should be able to hide
the password from most users.

Bis denn