change UID+GID on target system?

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Tue Jun 19 03:47:45 MDT 2012

On Mon 18 Jun 2012, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> >> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:33:09 +0200, Paul Slootman wrote:
>
>    > This makes no sense.
>

>    > There is no UID option for mounting a jfs filesystem;
>    > that's only appropriate for e.g. VFAT where there is no concept of UID.
>    > After mounting a jfs filesystem the files on that filesystem will have
>    > the stored UID.
>
> That is what I meant, however it seems that there is a patch
> for the ext(2/3/4) file systems which allows you to mount a
> file system under a different  UID.

Do you have that patch installed in your kernel?

> And as far as I understand ext(3/4) are similar to jfs, so I
> don't understand what you mean it does not make sense.

jfs is totally NOT like ext[234].

So
- the mythical patch is most probably not installed
- even if it was, it does nothing for your jfs mount

Hence it makes no sense to expect this to work.

> So you could mount an USB system so that all the files have
> UID 1001 instead of the original 1000.

I can't imagine anyone making something that supports that.

Paul