change UID+GID on target system?

Uwe Brauer oub at mat.ucm.es
Mon Jun 18 08:40:20 MDT 2012

>> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:33:09 +0200, Paul Slootman
>> <paul+rsync at wurtel.net> wrote:

   > On Mon 18 Jun 2012, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >>

   > This makes no sense.

   > There is no UID option for mounting a jfs filesystem;
   > that's only appropriate for e.g. VFAT where there is no concept of UID.
   > After mounting a jfs filesystem the files on that filesystem will have
   > the stored UID.

That is what I meant, however it seems that there is a patch
for the ext(2/3/4) file systems which allows you to mount a
file system under a different  UID.
And as far as I understand ext(3/4) are similar to jfs, so I
don't understand what you mean it does not make sense.

Uwe Brauer

So you could mount an USB system so that all the files have
UID 1001 instead of the original 1000.