change UID+GID on target system?

Voelker, Bernhard bernhard.voelker at siemens-enterprise.com
Tue Jun 19 02:18:23 MDT 2012

Uwe Brauer wrote (June 18, 2012 6:21 PM)

>>> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:25:30 +0000, "Voelker, Bernhard"
>>> <bernhard.voelker at siemens-enterprise.com> wrote:
>
>   > Uwe Brauer wrote:
>
>   > Why not write the date on the jfs drive as uid=1002 on laptop1?
>
>   > Unfortunately, ssh doesn't allow numerical user ids AFAIK, but
>   > if you have a second user, e.g. "u1002", then you could do:
>
>   >   rsync -avx /path/to/src u1002 at localhost:/path/to/usb/dest
>
> Aha! Thanks very much!
>
> This is really cool. However on my system I have
> really to use
>
> rsync -avx /path/to/src oub at localhost:/path/to/usb/dest
>
> Because otherwise the system does not recognise the passwd
> of u1002

I don't understand. You said your user "oub" has id 1000 on the
source laptop, and id 1002 on the destination laptop.
The idea therefore was to have a second user with id 1002 on the
source laptop - I named it u1002, and use rsync via ssh to the
localhost to get the files on the USB drive/stick with id 1002.

> BTW it seems that the system is using ssh anyway even I did
> not specify it in the rsync call, because it said something
> of accepting a ssh key in the first call.

of course, that was the idea behind ;-)

> The only problem is that it did work in my setting:
>
>  hosts.deny
> ALL:ALL
>
> And no hosts.allow entry.
>
> And I don't like to set
>
>  hosts.allow
>  ALL:ALL
>
> So I have to fiddle around a little, or do you know by
> change how to set hosts.allow and deny with minimal security
> risk.

You shoulnd't have to modify anything in /etc/hosts.{allow|deny}.
Und unless your sshd is setup correctly, you shouldn't need to
make any changes for that either.

Have a nice day,
Berny