change UID+GID on target system?

Uwe Brauer oub at mat.ucm.es
Mon Jun 18 10:20:53 MDT 2012

>> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:25:30 +0000, "Voelker, Bernhard"
>> <bernhard.voelker at siemens-enterprise.com> wrote:

   > Uwe Brauer wrote:

   > Why not write the date on the jfs drive as uid=1002 on laptop1?

   > Unfortunately, ssh doesn't allow numerical user ids AFAIK, but
   > if you have a second user, e.g. "u1002", then you could do:

   >   rsync -avx /path/to/src u1002 at localhost:/path/to/usb/dest

Aha! Thanks very much!

This is really cool. However on my system I have
really to use

rsync -avx /path/to/src oub at localhost:/path/to/usb/dest

Because otherwise the system does not recognise the passwd
of u1002

BTW it seems that the system is using ssh anyway even I did
not specify it in the rsync call, because it said something
of accepting a ssh key in the first call.

The only problem is that it did work in my setting:

 hosts.deny
ALL:ALL

And no hosts.allow entry.

And I don't like to set

 hosts.allow
 ALL:ALL

So I have to fiddle around a little, or do you know by
change how to set hosts.allow and deny with minimal security
risk.

Uwe