name too long problem?

Benjamin R. Haskell rsync at benizi.com
Wed Feb 15 07:46:10 MST 2012

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Carlos Carvalho wrote:

> In the latest 3.1 I get this in our backup:
>
> filename overflows max-path len by 1: <path>
> filename overflows max-path len by 1: <path>
> filename overflows max-path len by 9: <path>
> filename overflows max-path len by 7: <path>
> filename overflows max-path len by 4: <path>
> filename overflows max-path len by 5: <path>
> filename overflows max-path len by 6: <path>
>
> Both sender and receiver are linux machines, so the max-path is the
> same. Locale/lang are both set to C and --no-iconv is used. How can a
> name overflow in the receiver but exist in the sender? Can it be due
> to the temporary extension?

Presumably, you're not syncing from root to root.  So:

Files on sender:
/this/is/some/long/path # assume it's max-path length

rsync -R /./this/is/some/long/path remote:/backups/

Then, on the receiver, this path len is way too long:
/backups/this/is/some/long/path

One way to fix that would be to sync to a shorter prefix.  (mv /backups
/b).

--
Best,
Ben