How does rsync file verification work?

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Sat Feb 4 21:22:28 MST 2012

On 05/02/12 06:01, Kevin Korb wrote:
> Rsync does not verify the data after it is written to the disk.  The
> whole file checksum is only done to ensure that the file crossed the
> network intact.

Actually rsync doesn't checksum by default - if a file has the correct
date and size it's assumed to be the same file.

To achieve the goal, you could run a "rsync -az" type of thing to do the
initial sync, followed by a "rsync -c ..." to manually check each file
is the exact same file. This will of course make the entire process at
least twice as slow - but it will ensure you have confirmed the copy is
precisely what it says it is (I am ignoring filesystem/hardware caching
of course)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417