rsync without POSIX ACLs

Ryan John john.ryan at bsse.ethz.ch
Wed Dec 19 15:57:01 MST 2012

Hi,

I’m trying to rsync from an IBM SONAS, that has no POSIX ACLs.
I thought that without the –p flag, this should still work, and the destination will just inherit permissions, however, it doesn’t.
My source directory on the SONAS looks like:
~$ ls -la /net/sonas/directory
d--------- 2 user group     36 Oct  9 12:59 ./
d--------- 2 user group     36 Oct  9 12:59 ../
---------- 2 user group     36 Oct  9 12:59 file
 (I can still read/write files and dirs, it just looks like I can't)

If I try to rsync this like:
Rsync –rlt /net/sonas/directory /tmp/

The directory is created in /tmp/ and then the ACLs on the directory, and the files in it are set to ---------, then rsync fails, because it can’t read the directory
rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "/tmp/directory/file": Permission denied (13)
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1039) [sender=3.0.6]

I can get around it by doing:
rsync -rlt --chmod=u+rwx,g+rx /net/sonas/directory /tmp/
but that's not really satisfactory, as I'd just like it to inherit the destination permissions.

Does anyone know a better way?
Thanks in advance
John