cannot rsync when source directory lacks write permission

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Fri Aug 10 06:16:37 MDT 2012

On Fri 10 Aug 2012, András Porjesz wrote:

> priority). My assumtion was defaults only used when required, but as I
> wrote already, rsyncd overkills client side settings.

Of course it does, otherwise you have no security at all, if the client
can override whatever the server daemon has configured.

> You tried to explain nobody is normal as default - and I accept it, I tried to explain overwriting/ignoring -perms is a bug...

It doesn't overwrite/ignore --perms; it does what it can to the limit of
unix security model allows.  If you transfer files that were owned by
user nobody, then those permissions will be preserved just fine.

Paul