cannot rsync when source directory lacks write permission

András Porjesz andras.porjesz at ericsson.com
Fri Aug 10 05:46:56 MDT 2012

Hi Berny,
Yes, it is a possible solution, I missed something. But from my point of view you did not get my point.
I worked with unix/linux for 20 years therefore I know what are you talking about. In some cases using nobody is acceptable or even preferred, but in the specified case it is still an annoying and confusing bug. If you would like to say: this is not user friendly at all, and furthermore the documentation is not clear enough, misinterpretable (it is not mentioned anywhere: the cliend side settings or server side settings or some default assumptions have priority). My assumtion was defaults only used when required, but as I wrote already, rsyncd overkills client side settings.

You tried to explain nobody is normal as default - and I accept it, I tried to explain overwriting/ignoring -perms is a bug...

András