Time rsYnc Machine (tym)

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Fri Aug 10 03:45:23 MDT 2012

On Thu 09 Aug 2012, Linda Walsh wrote:

> Anyway, thanks for the history update.   I have a feeling rsync is afraid to use
> memory -- and really, it should try to use alot of memory to optimize transfers,

I have had rsync fail after using up 8GB memory + 4GB swap, so I'm very
happy it does its best to minimize memory usage.

> Turning off partial-send's (--whole-file) using 8-bit-io) seem to really help
> speed things up on a same-system copy... In doing a full sync with a backup,

--whole-file is the default when source and destination are both on the
same system -- at least, if you don't specify hostnames...

> of a 6G HD, (I used --drop-cache, --inplace and --del as well)  Doing an
> archive diff with --acls --xattrs + --hardlinks rysync averaged 125MB/s
> for the actual IO... (about 30% of the disk)...

OK, and now on a 6*TB* HD :-) This is on one of "my" backup servers:
/dev/sdc               39T   33T  5.9T  85% /backup

Paul