cannot rsync when source directory lacks write permission

Steven Levine steve53 at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 7 16:16:20 MDT 2012

In <CAFUyVX4O-o=r36MA0sMfhMMiPZSurLg3V0Z=QX_v1Bz099ggHw at mail.gmail.com>,
on 08/07/12
   at 01:03 PM, "Greg Deback (rsync)" <greg.deb+rsync at gmail.com> said:

Hi,

>No I think this bug is not related. However, I am wondering : if the
>directory is write-protected, even for root, that means it never changes
>right ?

No.  As the code says

/* We need to ensure that the dirs in the transfer have both
 * readable and writable permissions during the time we are
 * putting files within them.  This is then restored to the
 * former permissions after the transfer is done. */

If András can not create files and/or dirctories at the destination, it is
because the directory does not already have the required read/write
permissions or the rsync daemon does not have the authority to change the
permissions.

Regards,

Steven