rsync compares all files again and again

Frank Steiner fsteiner-mail1 at bio.ifi.lmu.de
Fri Oct 14 15:22:20 MDT 2011

Kevin Korb wrote

> Correct.  rsync doesn't pay attention to ctime as it can't set ctime to
> arbitrary values.

The mail I was referring to indeed mentioned mtimes, sorry for that.

So, as far as I understand your replies, there is no way to prevent
rsync from comparing at least size/mtime of  each and every file because
file contents can change without any flag/time/whatever of the directory
the file is in changes?

That's strange, shouldn't sth. change in the directory information if
a files status in the directory changes? Sth. like the archive flag in
FAT/NTFS?

The problem is that even just comparing sizes/mtimes can take hours
on a 12 TB raid of there are hundreds of directories and each has
25 million files in it :-o so I hoped for a shortcut for unchanged
directories.

cu,
Frank

--