rsync compares all files again and again

Elliot Wilen ewilen at mprinc.com
Fri Oct 14 12:00:02 MDT 2011

I'm seeing the same thing as Frank, but I just assume that it's normal. Note that rsync is *comparing* every file, it still only *copies* the changed data. Adding --stats corroborates this.

If I use -vv then, just like Frank, I get

x/y/y1 is uptodate

for each file that's up to date. If I use -ivv, I get

.f x/y/y1

for files that are up to date and similar notations for file/directory modifications.

This does add quite a bit of time to my rsyncs. I seem to recall reading about various rsync wrapper scripts which people have devised to deal with this.

Elliot Wilen
Network Administrator/Postmaster
MPR Associates, Inc.
2150 Shattuck Ave., Suite 800