two bugs in rsync 3.0.6 - ampersands in filenames, double quoting required

Bryan Hoyt | Brush Technology bryan at brush.co.nz
Sat Mar 12 15:06:05 MST 2011

Is there some way to block this guy? I got a similarly helpful personal
reply to my question...

 - Bryan

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 09:39, alex conway <seton.uk at gmail.com> wrote:

> fuck off
>
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 2:41 AM, <travis+ml-rsync at subspacefield.org>wrote:
>
>> 1)
>>
>> deleting path/to/(Something) Word Word Anotherword--Word Word.pdf
>> IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion
>>
>> I think either the -- is causing it to fail, or more likely, the next
>> filename, which it didn't bother to print out, which has an ampersand
>> in the name, causes it to fail.
>>
>> I am using SSH as a substrate, of course, and I think you guys failed
>> to escape things, so the ampersand is hosing your protocol somehow.
>>
>> 2)
>>
>> I am also aware that when rsyncing to a foreign system, you have to
>> "double escape" filenames - if the target has a space in it, you must
>> use not one, but two sets of quotes.  Since you can't nest double
>> quotes or single quotes, this means that you have to use both.
>>
>> This is fairly annoying, for a number of reasons, including the
>> difficulty of doing variable substitution (single quotes prevent it,
>> so you gotta bust out for the variable and then back in), and the fact
>> that it's not intuitive at all.
>> --
>> I'm not sleeping; I'm regenerating. |
>> http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
>> My emails do not usually have attachments; it's a digital signature
>> that your mail program doesn't understand.
>> If you are a spammer, please email john at subspacefield.org to get
>> blacklisted.
>>
>> --
>>

> --

PS. Check out the Brush newsletter: *Subscribe or read our previous
newsletters* <http://brush.co.nz/newsletters>

Bryan Hoyt, *Web Development Manager*  --  Brush Technology
*Ph:* +64 3 741 1204     *Mobile:* +64 21 238 7955
*Web:* brush.co.nz