-r required when -a already specified in --files-from?

Kulkarni Shantanu ml at lists.shantanukulkarni.org
Thu Sep 30 10:35:22 MDT 2010

Hi all,
I am using rsync v.3.0.7 (protocol v30) on ubuntu 10.04.
My rsync line looks like this,

cd /home/shantanu/
rsync -av --files-from=bin/include-to-rsync.dat /home/shantanu/ \
        /media/transcend/backup_laptop/shantanu/

include-to-rsync had directories in this format,
bank/
dwhelper/
clients/

When I ran the script I noticed that a files in bank/10-11 were not
getting synced. Upon adding "-r" with "-av" the files got synced
properly.  I think when one supplies "-a", "-r" is implied. I
reconfirmed this from man-page where it says "-a" is equal to
"-rlptgoD".

Am I missing anything from the man-page for this?

Thanks,
Shantanu