rsync as a deliberately slow copy?

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Thu Sep 30 04:47:57 MDT 2010

On Thu 30 Sep 2010, Henri Shustak wrote:

> Yes SSH (depending upon the system) may be resource intensive. As such, the suggestion of using nice is a really good suggestion!

Also, if running on linux, investigate ionice.
This, given CFQ disk scheduling (the default in recent kernels, I
believe) will cause rsync to play nice with IO resources, whereas "nice"
handles CPU load. rsync is often much more IO intensive than CPU bound.

I often run rsync with 'ionice -c3 rsync ....'

Paul