rsync as a deliberately slow copy?

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 14:35:21 MDT 2010

>> I'm looking for a way to deliberately copy a large directory tree
>> of files somewhat slowly, rather than as fast as the hardware
>> will allow.
> Just do it to localhost - that way it's still a network connection, and
> you can use "--bwlimit". Also, you could try "nice" to lower the
> priority rsync runs at

Yes SSH (depending upon the system) may be resource intensive. As such, the suggestion of using nice is a really good suggestion!

Although, if you are limiting the bandwidth then the resources required by SSH will be lower. It will really depend on a number of factors. Bottom line is nice is a great suggestion.