"writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4092 bytes to socket"

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sun Sep 26 09:37:55 MDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 07:33 -0700, Joseph Maxwell wrote:
> I'm attempting to maintain a mirror of a remote database, ~ 66Gb on a
> FreeBSD platform. I do not have direct access to the database except by
> rsync, anon. ftp  etc.
>
> I'm running rsync nightly from crontab, with the
> cmd
> /usr/local/bin/rsync -avvv --port=33444 ftp.filesource.org::ftp . >>
> rsynclog
> generated the following in the cron report
>
> First error
> [1]
> rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at rsync.c(562)
> [receiver=3.0.7]rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20)
> at rsync.c(562) [generator=3.0.7]

Something on the local machine sent rsync a signal.  Try to figure out
what.

> Subsequent runs =>
>
> [2]
> rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (54)rsync: writefd_unbuffered
> failed to write 4092 bytes to socket [generator]: Broken pipe (32)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(1530)
> [generator=3.0.7]
> rsync error: received SIGUSR1 (code 19) at main.c(1288) [receiver=3.0.7]

If there are no other relevant error messages in the log, this means
either the connection dropped or the remote rsync daemon closed the
connection for a reason known only to itself.  The only way to find out
which is to look at the daemon's log or to strace both sides.  If you
don't have the cooperation of the rsync daemon administrator to
investigate this, you are out of luck.

--
Matt