"writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4092 bytes to socket"

Joseph Maxwell jaymax36 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 08:33:14 MDT 2010

I'm attempting to maintain a mirror of a remote database, ~ 66Gb on a
FreeBSD platform. I do not have direct access to the database except by
rsync, anon. ftp  etc.

I'm running rsync nightly from crontab, with the
cmd
/usr/local/bin/rsync -avvv --port=33444 ftp.filesource.org::ftp . >>
rsynclog
generated the following in the cron report

First error
[1]
rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at rsync.c(562)
[receiver=3.0.7]rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20)
at rsync.c(562) [generator=3.0.7]

Subsequent runs =>

[2]
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (54)rsync: writefd_unbuffered
failed to write 4092 bytes to socket [generator]: Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(1530)
[generator=3.0.7]
rsync error: received SIGUSR1 (code 19) at main.c(1288) [receiver=3.0.7]

from rsynlog
tail -10 =>
---
---
recv_generator(data/structures/divided/XML-extatom/bv/1bvb-extatom.xml.gz,598114)
data/structures/divided/XML-extatom/bv/1bvb-extatom.xml.gz is uptodate

Seems to indicate that the system works, up to a stsge when the pipe is
broken or the conection is reset.

I could not find any clear explanation of this on the net or FAQ.
The FAQ mentions this type of error but requires acess to rsyncd running on
the remote site.

Is the synchronization completed after the 'reset' ?
And what is the workaround or corrective steps for this?

Thanks!!