rotating dirs created with link-dest

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Tue Nov 16 11:41:50 MST 2010

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Steven Levine wrote:

> on 10/18/10 at 01:41 PM, doug at safeport.com said:
>
> Hi Doug,
>
>> If I change link-dest=../../201009/myserver/home/ it starts a new base.
>> Via  google and RTFM it seems that naming schemes keep the name of the
>> link-dest  directory constant. Is this a requirement or am I yet missing
>> one more thing?
>
> I suspect the option name is confusing you.  --link-dest names the source
> of the basis files so you don't want it to be empty (or new).
>
> You need to reverse the options as in
>
>  rsync srcdir --link-dest=last-backup-dir new-backupdir
>
> Steven

Thanks Steve. I must really be dense, without all the options

       ---------------source------------------  --------------------base----------------  ------dest------
rsync -e ssh root at newharbor.safeport.com:/home --link-dest=/backup/201009/newharbor/home 201010/newharbor/
rsync -e ssh root at newharbor.safeport.com:/home --link-dest=/backup/201003/newharbor/home 201010/newharbor/

The first command copies all files, the second command copied about 13 of 40 GB.

The options on both commands are: -vaxH --numeric-ids --delete --exclude=/home/apache/logs

The files are on backup box running some version of Linux. The command is running on
FBSD 8.1 using rsync version 3.0.7 protocol version 30. Thanks for any help.

There is no substitute for FTFM. man rsync actually :) I come up with the
following (useful to me options)

 	-a   -rlptg
           -r, --recursive             recurse into directories
           -l, --links                 copy symlinks as symlinks
           -p, --perms                 preserve permissions
           -t, --times                 preserve modification times
           -g, --group                 preserve group

         -R, --relative              use relative path names
         -i, --itemize-changes       output a change-summary for all updates
         -n, --dry-run               perform a trial run with no changes made
             --exclude-from=FILE     read exclude patterns from FILE
             --list-only             list the files instead of copying them

         -c, --checksum              skip based on checksum, not mod-time & size
             --link-dest=DIR         hardlink to files in DIR when unchanged

Using -vvni I believe I can debug this. Base on testing with my workstation
perhaps using -c will do it. That is obviously not the complete answer or the
differenct link-dest values would not work so differently. I built the 2nd
command using up-arrow and backspace so no typos (I am pretty sure).

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
doug at safeport.com