rotating dirs created with link-dest

Steven Levine steve53 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 17 13:19:45 MST 2010

In <alpine.BSF.2.00.1011160947100.50633 at oceanpt.safeport.com>, on 11/16/10
   at 01:41 PM, doug at safeport.com said:

H Doug,

>       ---------------source------------------
>--------------------base----------------  ------dest------
>rsync -e ssh root at newharbor.safeport.com:/home
>--link-dest=/backup/201009/newharbor/home 201010/newharbor/ rsync -e ssh
>root at newharbor.safeport.com:/home
>--link-dest=/backup/201003/newharbor/home 201010/newharbor/

>The first command copies all files, the second command copied about 13 of
>40 GB.

>The options on both commands are: -vaxH --numeric-ids --delete
>--exclude=/home/apache/logs

>The files are on backup box running some version of Linux. The command is
>running on  FBSD 8.1 using rsync version 3.0.7 protocol version 30.
>Thanks for any help.

>Using -vvni I believe I can debug this.

Probably.  For my uses, -i is usually sufficient to dertermine why rync has decided to process a file/directory.

>Base on testing with my
>workstation  perhaps using -c will do it.

I don't think so.  If I understand your issues, you are getting too many files copied on the second run.  My first suspect would be user/group ids.

Even if -c determines that the files contain the same content, the files still will get copied if the linking rules can not be satisfied.

Steven