Speeding rsync via externalities like file system choice

Andrew Gideon c182driver1 at gideon.org
Thu May 20 17:38:24 MDT 2010

Using rsync --link-dest, I end up with a file system that has a
relatively large number of directory entries but relatively small number
of inodes.  Copying this volume takes hours...far more than other volumes
of similar size.  I blame the much larger amount of directory traversal
(and comparisons between source and destination) that are occurring.

I'm using ext3, but I'm not wed to it.  Is there a different file system
that would speed the process?  The one somewhat unusual requirement is
that this must support ACLs.

Is there anything else I could do to speed these rsync operations?

Thanks...

	Andrew