rsync thinks the xttarr is not updated

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun May 2 18:12:00 MDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 7:51 AM, Tarso dos Santos <
tarso.dos.santos at oracle.com> wrote:

>  I am running rsync 3.0.7 and I think I have hit the following bug from
> 3.0.1:
>
> NEWS for rsync 3.0.1 (3 Apr 2008) Protocol: 30 (unchanged) Changes since
> 3.0.0:
> Fixed a bug in the handling of xattr values that could cause rsync to not
> think that a file's extended attributes are up-to-date.

What you should do is to dump the xattrs of a file in its source version and
its dest version and see where they differ.  I'd imagine that rsync is
trying to set an xattr and it is getting tweaked somehow by the filesystem
so that it doesn't get reported back to rsync has having the right value.
 You can then try setting a value on the destination file manually and see
if that hypothesis is right or not.  If you think that rsync is doing the
wrong thing, figuring out exactly what xargs are tripping up rsync should
help.