rysnc failure

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun May 2 17:16:31 MDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 6:45 PM, mm_half3 <mm_half3 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I noticed an unexpected problem in the sync log files, one of the user data
> directories had bumped up against it's quota, and failed to write the data.
>  That is expected, what was unexpected was the entire rsync process died
> with this error, and the remaining user file systems  in the rsync job,
> about 100 or so did not get written.

Yeah, rsync explicitly dies if it gets an I/O error that it interprets as a
lack of space.  Typically this means that the entire destination disk has
filled up, and trying more copying is futile.  In some cases that assumption
is not warranted, but it is the most common.

There are potential ways to improve this, but most of them require making
rsync smarter about being able to query quotas and destination disk amounts
at different spots in the hierarchy, which is not a simple change to make.

The already-suggested idea to split the job into separate per-quota copies
is probably your best bet for now.