Rsync copies all files, not just changed files

Khalid J Hosein kjh at PObox.com
Tue Mar 2 15:27:11 MST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 11:28 PM, Matt McCutchen <matt at mattmccutchen.net>wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 15:35 -0800, Khalid J Hosein wrote:
> > I have a strange problem where rsync is copying over all files instead
> > of just the ones that have changed.
>
> http://rsync.samba.org/FAQ.html#2
>
> Pass -i and see what shows up in the output.
>
> --
> Matt

Thanks Matt. I did try that, although -i seems to 'not work' in combination
with other options. Unfortunately, I didn't have the patience at the time to
document.

When I pass -i (and it gives me the detailed output), I can see the files
that it believes should be copied and the ones that are unchanged, and
everything looks correct.

What I found though was that my tests which I ran straight off the command
line seem to give different results from the backup script. Same exact rsync
options, but from the command line, it behaves as expected.

_Khalid