Rsync copies all files, not just changed files

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 16:51:46 MST 2010

> I have a strange problem where rsync is copying over all files instead of just the ones that have changed.

If you examine a file at either end which is being re-copied are the permission and ownership settings for this destination file the same as the permission and ownership on the remote source files. In particular, check the ownership of the files.

If the ownership is not matching then typically (someone please correct me if I am mistaken) rsync will re-copy the file.