No subject

Thu Jun 10 02:36:45 MDT 2010

from MD4 to MD5 (http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/src/rsync-3.0.0-NEWS).
My understanding is that MD5 is a more secure, slower version of MD4 but I
am not convinced that the added security of MD5 would alone have merited
the change from MD4 (particularly since MD4 is ~30% faster than MD5). I
wonder if I am missing other reasons which made the change
necessary/desirable?

I am looking at ways to optimise Rsync (for speed) hence my interest in
this,

Thanks,

Nick

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is prohibited.

Please refer to http://www.bnpparibas.co.uk/en/information/legal_information.asp?Code=ECAS-845C5H  for additional disclosures.

--=_alternative 003F2FF780257775_=

My guess is that it does not look good for rsync to use a discredited algorithm.
See http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-turner-md4-to-historic-00.</font>
notoriously difficult. Several times algorithms previously thought secure
have been shown to be vunerable to certain attacks. MD5 has also been discovered
to be vunerable. See the article &quot;MD5 considered harmful today&quot;
at http://www.win.tue.nl/hashclash/rogue-ca.</font>
a hashing algorithm that is cryptographically secure? I suppose it's due
in part to the likelyhood of different chunks hashing to the same value.
With the MD5 vunerability one has to specially engineer it. IMO it is extremely
unlikely that it would happen by chance when used by rsync. If anyone worries
about this then maybe rsync would move to SHA-1 at some point. And then
what if someone finds a problem with SHA-1? Indeed, Bruce Schneier has
an article on this at http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/02/sha1_broken.html.
Again, I reckon that the SHA-1 vunerability would have no practical effect
if SHA-1 was used in rsync. Just my $0.02.</font>
the chunks. I do not see why this needs to have all the strengths and safeguards
of a cryptographic algorithm. Unless rsync is supposed to be defending
against protocol attack? Is it? I didn't think so but I could be wrong,
I don't know enough about this bit of the rsync code. If it is trying to
defend against this then IMO it should be using an HMAC rather than just
a hash code. Assuming it doesn't need these strengths/safeguards then maybe
it should use a cheaper (i.e. quicker) hashing algorithm.</font>
Andrew Marlow<br>
by reverting to MD4 hashing</font></table>
My understanding is that MD5 is a more secure, slower version of MD4 but
I am not convinced that the added security of MD5 would alone have merited
the change from MD4 (particularly since MD4 is ~30% faster than MD5). I
wonder if I am missing other reasons which made the change necessary/desirable?</font>
speed) hence my interest in this,</font>
Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the mailing list.<br>
To unsubscribe or change options: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/rsync<br>
Before posting, read: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html</tt></font>
This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is prohibited.

Please refer to http://www.bnpparibas.co.uk/en/information/legal_information.asp?Code=ECAS-845C5H  for additional disclosures.
</pre>
--=_alternative 003F2FF780257775_=--