rsync and hfs+ compressed files damaged

Robert DuToit rdutoit at comcast.net
Fri Jun 25 14:53:21 MDT 2010

Hi Mike and All,

Pertaining to the corrupted files via rsync:

Build on OSX 10.6.4
rsync 3.0.6

patch -p1 <patches/fileflags.diff
patch -p1 <patches/crtimes.diff
patch -p1 <patches/rsync_3.0.6-hfs-compression_20091027.diff
./configure
make

(I have tried also using backup-dir-dels.diff and your extended_stats.diff with same results)

this is my own basic clone line
pathToPatchedRsync  -aHAXNx --fileflags --force-change --protect-decmpfs --stats -v --progress  /  /Volumes/Snowy  &> output file

if I just copy the /usr folder to some other directory it has the same effect.
pathToPatchedRsync  -aHAXNx --fileflags --force-change --protect-decmpfs --stats -v --progress  /usr  /Volumes/Snowy/testFolder  &> output file

I ran find_sl_damaged_files tool which checks the file size and the decmpfs and resource fork flags and it shows this:

/Volumes/Snowy/usr/bin/bzip2recover appears to be damaged
/Volumes/Snowy/usr/bin/file appears to be damaged
/Volumes/Snowy/usr/bin/chudRemoteCtrl appears to be damaged
/Volumes/Snowy/usr/bin/chumAddRights appears to be damaged
/Volumes/Snowy/usr/bin/ci appears to be damaged
/Volumes/Snowy/usr/bin/xed appears to be damaged
/Volumes/Snowy/usr/share/man/man1/ibtool.1 appears to be damaged
/Volumes/Snowy/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Santa_Isabel appears to be damaged

I tested /Volumes/Snowy/usr/bin/file  and indeed it is broken on the that clone

It copies everything fine - seems a good clone but there are these several files. Someone has reported more corrupted files, or none, and say sometimes it changes from clone to clone. My experience produces the same corrupted files every time. I have done maybe 20 tests now. I'll ask others to check it out.

Now here's the strange part. If I copy just those problem files themselves, and not the entire /usr directory they aren't corrupted. Also if I copy a handful of exec files (including the problem ones) to another folder and copy those with rsync, they are fine too! As I said before I have read the Ars Technica article and others about hfs+ compression and seen reports of these same problems on a fresh install of 10.6

As a test I tried using CCC making a clone and then just the /usr folder and both times it comes up clean in the test - no corrupted files in there. I also tried ditto with the new −-hfsCompression option and that seems ok. So you must have done something right though I think we are using the same hfs+ patch that you posted. Or maybe you didn't use the patch but patched rsync directly….

Let me know if I can supply any more details on this.