How dangerous is --inplace

Philipp Herz - allied internet ag p.herz at allied-internet.ag
Wed Jun 16 15:57:03 MDT 2010

Hi,

maybe not quite relevant to your question, but we currently experienced
an issue using the "--inplace" option with rsync version 3.0.7 affecting
the "--link-dest" option.

As stated in the man page

--inplace
... Prior to rsync 2.6.4 --inplace was also incompatible with
--compare-dest  and --link-dest.

"--inplace" should no longer be incompatible with "--link.dest", but it
actually seems to be...

So if you don't need "--partial", you should better not use "--inplace".

Best regards - Philipp

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
   Philipp Herz
Ihr allied internet Team

allied internet ag
Am Mittelfelde 29
30519 Hannover
Deutschland

Tel.: +49 (511) 5151 8000     | Fax.: +49 (511) 5151 8299

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hannover, USt-IdNr. DE813460827
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Hannover, Register-Nr.: HRB 202350
Vorstand: Cristoph Bluhm, Sebastian Bluhm, Stefan Priebe
Aufsichtsrat: Prof. Dr. iur. Winfried Huck (Vorsitzender)