rsync mirror solution: how to prevent accidental mirror deletion

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 19:03:40 MDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 7:57 PM, David Overton <david at overtons.id.au> wrote:
> Hi Rahul,
>
> I have two suggestions:
> 1. Use --max-delete option to limit the amount of damage that can be
> done when this happens.

That's a good option. Another way of course is for me to have some
kind of pre-script bash wrapper  that contacts the head node and
verifies that the /home is  not zero sized. But this only guards
against a specific set of eventualities that I know.

> 2. Add some redundancy to your backup by keeping multiple past backups
> and rotating between them.  You can use --link-dest to allow sharing
> of unchanged files between backups.  A set of perl scripts called
> rsnapshot (http://www.rsnapshot.org/) makes this easy to set up.

I'm already using rsnapshot as a offsite incremental backup solution
for this same server. The idea behind maintaining a mirror was
slightly different. We wanted to have a standalone HDD readily
available that we could just mount and get the production_server up
and running.

--
Rahul